Saturday, April 19, 2008

Chapter 61: A few of my new obsessions

Food: Açai! (It's a Brazilian rainforest fruit that's an ambrosial mix of chocolate and fruit. Utterly addictive). Oh, it was a happy, happy, happy day when I found the best I've ever tasted outside of Brazil, here at a health food store in Sydney. But then, I made a terrible mistake. I told one Brazilian friend about it, and he told all of his friends, and the news spread like wildfire amongst those eager networkers, and now the bastards have made a run on the health food store and they don't have any more of it and I am grieving.
TV program: Damages, with Glenn Close as a litigation lawyer, she's complex, manipulative, evil, and entirely compelling. In one scene, she's blackmailing a fellow lawyer (picture below) to throw a case:
"You're a baptist, right Ray?" (HE NODS SUSPCIOUSLY). She leans forward (SILENCE, A PAUSE) and whispers "Repent!"
Brilliant! Only Glenn Close could make a whisper sound like a scream.

Pastime: On-line Scrabble. I've now won 22 out of 23 games, losing so far only to Kelley Korbin. That's not going to happen again. Anyway, I got even, whupping her ass in a subsequent game with DETHRONE on a double word pink tile plus my bonus 50 points for getting all 7 tiles down at once. So there, KK! Nyah, nyah, nyah! If anyone wants to play, drop me a line!

And I would like to commend my friend Ziad, who lives in Kuwait, for always playing his turn so promptly! I suppose some people would call him an enabler, but as a Scrabble addict I am ever so grateful. And of course, my gratitude increased boundlessly when Ziad gave me a K so that I could lay down JOKE on a triple word-score red-tile with my J falling neatly (Did anyone say Divine Plan?) on a double letter-score blue score, so that I collected 69 sweet, delicious, lovely, succulent points. Ziad said afterwards that "Peter W, aka Scrabblezilla, was wreaking havoc on Kuwait City". And later still, when the reality of the scale of his defeat had sunk in he told me he'd been placed on "Scrabble Suicide Watch".

But it's hard for people to cope with Scrabble Genius. For example, my friend Kelley sent me this lovely Scrabble poem which one of her fellow-on-line-scrabbling friends sent to another after suffering a severe losing streak. I think it's utter genius:

Beeyatch

dearest friend
our game is at an end
I have places to go
and money to spend
while you for sheer luck
blithely ascend
to the scrabble
hall of fame
you who pulled the Q, the J, the X, two S's and most of the E's.
Skill, yup yup yup yup yup yup
Mensa, yup yup yup
Sure whateveryou say.
Have a nice day
and enjoy your ground glass soup.

If anybody wants to play scrabble with me let me know. It works via email. You can take your turn whenever you like. Please play with me. Pretty PRETTY PLEASE!

Music: Raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens...... Nah, just kidding. I hate that schmaltzy song, fuck the Sound of Music and Julie Andrews. Instead, try Kate Nash. She's a cross between Catherine Tate and Bjork, with deeply profound yet utterly hilarious lyrics. I LOLed repeatedly listening to her album. My favourite song is Foundations. (Click on the word foundations to see the video of this song.)

Video: Actually, though, Kate Nash, though a brilliant songstress, makes shitty videos. Here's my favourite video currently, the latest Dolce & Gabbana underwear ad. If you're gay, viewing is obligatory, but make sure you have a towel handy.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Zaydoun said...

OK Scrabblezilla... lets end this last game with whatever is left of my dignity

Losing ain't fun!

Ziad

1:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) If you told me some store in London sold Chips Ahoy (and not at £10/packet), I'd buy them all out as well. So if you find exotic food, DON'T EVER tell the locals of that region.

2) I'm like that with Heroes; it starts Thursday on BBC2. I keep asking other people if they've watched it only to find out they did. Six months ago. Suddenly I'm back at elementary school being laughed at because I have last years Trapper Keeper.

3)Fine-I'll play. Personally, I'd prefer Monopoly (or Manopoly), but I'll take whatever to pass the time.

4) I like the song, and I shall buy the album. Thank you for that.

5) I supposed it works for some, but not for me; He looks like someone that used to being in the Cats musical, but his fur got stolen. Or he licked it all off.

Dom

5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummm okay we absolutely love love love David Gandy..but whose tha' pouting dancing queen in that vid!..also found Rafael Verga...please stand up Ms Brazil!

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Hit Counter
Hit Counter